Flash Paddle: Whiskey Ditch
Date: TODAY, Friday, March 21
Time: 4 p.m.
Place: Meet and put-in at Tensaw Eco Tours on the Causeway to paddle Whiskey Ditch and back
Contact: Bob Andrews h/w) 344-8664 cell)367-4144
Comments: Bob expects the flowers will be in bloom. Easy, short paddle, and a club favorite.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS (FAQs)
1. Our monthly meetings are held the first Tuesday of every month at 7:00 p.m. at the Fairhope Yacht Club. Anybody and everybody is welcome to attend. There is no charge. The typical meeting lasts two hours. We start with a review of the previous month’s paddles, continue with plans for and announcements of paddles for the next month, and end with a presentation. Presentations may include slide shows of past paddling trips by club members, member reviews of paddling gear, and safety and skills presentations.
2. If you e-mail a request to firstname.lastname@example.org, Julie will put you on the club’s e-mail list. You will receive a monthly newsletter, which includes a calendar of events, and e-mail notices of “flash paddles” i.e., club paddles that are planned and announced on short notice. (If you used to be on Gene’s e-mail list for the club and are wondering why you suddenly stopped receiving club e-mails, it’s because Gene’s e-mail list suddenly died. You need to “re-subscribe” by e-mailing Julie, if you want to get on the new e-mail list for the club.)
3. We are a group of people who enjoy paddling and sharing our experiences with others. We are not a formal organization. There are no dues, no application forms, no membership lists. All you have to do to "join" our "club" is show up at a paddle, come to a meeting, or just decide you're a member.
4. Our intention is for safety to always be the first priority. It is up to each individual to decide for him/herself whether the paddling conditions for each event are within their enjoyment and skill range. Everyone must be responsible for their decision whether to participate in each event. The coordinator of the paddle should be able to assist with information on the expected paddle conditions. However, always remember that the weather and other conditions can, and quite often do, change both quickly and dramatically. (In other words, paddle at your own risk.)
5. You should always contact the trip coordinator for any paddling trip to let them know if you plan to attend. If they don’t know you are coming, trip leaders cannot contact you with changes in plans or cancellations, and you may find yourself waiting alone in a parking lot while the rest of us are off having fun somewhere else.
6. Thanks to the paddlers who choose to carry a trash bag to collect rubbish along the way. They make it nicer for everyone.
Contact list and links:
If you would like to subscribe to the club e-mail list, or if you have any questions, comments, or suggestions about this website, please e-mail Julie at email@example.com.
Clickhere to go to the website of the West Florida Canoe Club.
Click here to go to the website for the Bartram Canoe Trail.
Click here to go the website for the U.S. Geological Survey, where you can download free maps.
Click here to go to the MBCAKC’s archive of “trip reports” on past paddles. This website ranges from the informative to the poetic, and sometimes includes links to maps. You are encouraged to submit trip reports of whatever genre, as well as your favorite links.
How to Get a Permit to Paddle Boiling Creek
A current permit is required to paddle Boiling Creek in Eglin Air Force Base. The permits are good from 1 October to 30 September. They cost $5.00. You get a map along with the permit that is worth more than the fee.
Request the Recreational Permit, which is the one for paddling. You can get the permit from one of the gates or by mail. Permits may be obtained from the Jackson Guard Office (Natural Resources Branch), located at Highway 85 North, Niceville FL 32578 (850) 882-4164. The mailing address is:
Eglin Natural Resources Branch
107 Highway 85 North
Niceville, FL 32578
For each permit requested, send a photocopy of either a driver’s license or identification card which contains a photograph, your full name, current address (including zip code), current phone number, and date of birth. Specify the type of permit (recreational) desired. (As an alternative to a photo-i.d., you can send last year’s permit, if you have one.) Be prepared to wait three weeks for delivery (though recent turn-arounds have been only a few days). Payments can be by personal check, money order, or cashiers check made payable to DFAS-LI Eglin AFB. Cash is not accepted.